YES! All four models have been tested at a U.S. Coast Guard approved testing facility. The production models exceed the latest compliance standards. Yes, Porta-Botes are also NMMA and European CE Certified.
Because the hull is so light (you’re not fighting 300 pounds [136kg] of hull weight), Porta-Bote is a delight to row. The fact that the bow has a “Deep V” Entry-Level Design also gives you an added advantage. You’re not pushing very much water. It’s a lot like “gliding”.
This is where Porta-Bote really excels over ordinary rigid craft and inflatables. Imagine being able to get up on a “plane” using a tiny 3.5hp outboard. You can when one person is in the boat and at the helm. Porta-Bote takes a standard “short shaft” engine. Do you know what kind of power it takes to get an equivalent sized aluminum or fiberglass boat up on a plane? You would have to invest in a high priced, exceedingly heavy engine that weighs as much as the hull!! And remember, you have to lift this cast iron monster over the transom to get it installed. With Porta-Bote you get performance and true portability. 100,000 owners can’t be wrong!
Almost no maintenance is required. It never needs painting! Why? The color goes thru and thru every molecule. You couldn’t rub it off even if you tried. If it gets dirty just wash it off with mild soap and water. Almost nothing sticks to it. You won’t be spending your time cleaning and “rubbing”, just having fun, boating!
Porta-Bote’s Polypropylene hull is .150thousands inches thick… twice as thick as an aluminum hull. And, Unlike the thin skin of an inflatable (every inflatable comes with a patch kit!) even the sharpest rocks would have a hard time piercing the almost indestructible Polypropylene Copolymer material.
The “RV’ers” Boat…Foldable Portaboat Ends Trailering Forever! You already tow your family car behind your RV. You love to fish and sail. But how can you transport all these crafts on your rig? Foldable PortaBote, the “RV” boat, may be just your solution.
14? 0 inch (4.28m) model:144 inches (366 cm) 12? 6 inch (3.85m) model:117 inches (297 cm) 10? 8 inch (3.27m) model:100 inches (254 cm) 8? 6 inch (2.85m) model: 76 inches ..(193 cm)
1. Place closed boat on floor. Slip smaller, one piece RV mount thru bow (front). The 2 holes should be “under” the boat. Slide this mount toward the center of boat as far at it will go (this placement is very important). Boat should be installed with open end (two tubes facing down) as shown.
2. Place the open, larger (2 piece) “U-Shaped” RV Mount (with the two holes) at the rear and underneath the boat. Place the straight piece with the angled stop on the top of the open mount so you can move the 2 piece mount freely. Now, move this 2 piece mount towards the front of the boat until the rear of the boat is less than ½” (12.7mm) from the inside surface of the angled stop (this is critical). Attach this mount to the boat by connecting the bottom of the straight piece with the angled stop to the RV Mount. If necessary, press down on this area of the boat to allow you to secure the two pieces of the mount together. Insert a nail or pin thru the hole in the hasp to keep it closed, temporarily.
3. Place the closed boat (with the RV Mounts still firmly attached) against the side or top of the recreational vehicle. The rear end of boat should facing the the rear of your RV. WARNING! Never cover a heat or exhaust vent! The boat may be installed at an angle to avoid these vents or windows. Mark the position of the RV mounts on the vehicle with a pencil. (If there are no studs, make sure you install a wide backup plate or heavy washer on the inside wall of your RV to help spread the weight and the “pull” of the bolt). Now, take down the boat and install the RV mounts at their proper marked locations. (To prevent the possibility of the boat rubbing against the side of your RV you can insert a piece of wood (sealed) as a spacer between the RV Mount and the side of your RV). Use the correct size nuts, bolts, and washers to suit the thickness of the wall or roof of your RV. Roof installation? Use a good waterproofing sealant. If there is room for attachment underneath your RV, this is a third option if no other space is available. When using this method, make sure you place a thin sealed plywood or aluminum sheet under the boat to prevent scratching caused by rocks being thrown up against the bottom of the RV.
4. After RV Mounts have been installed, slip bow (front) of boat thru smaller, closed mount as far as it will go. Now, press the rear side of the boat into the open RV Mount. Close the RV Mount with the straight piece with the angled stop. Lock with a good, “heavy duty” padlock.
5. To remove the boat from the RV Mount, push in at the bottom of the boat at the rear. This releases pressure from the hasp. Remove the straight piece with the angled stop and pull the boat out and away from the vehicle to prevent scratching.
1- Flexibility: is the secret to Porta-Boat's incredible stability! This is the same reason inflatables are more stable than rigid craft. When a strong wave slams against the side of Porta-Boat's "Flexi-Hull"?, the polypropylene flexes inwards approximately 12%. This immediately dissipates the energy of thewave & actually disperses its force by over 90%. It's really almost impossible (notice we said "almost") to capsize one of these craft. Although safe boating is a matter of using common sense, you definitely have a much greater safety factor when using Porta-Boat as your recreational craft over an old fashioned rigid aluminum or fiberglass hull.
2- Advanced Hull Design: Porta-Boat's superior hull design creates a unique stability. Its patented concave cupped bottom LOCKS onto the water's surface. Yet, it easily "glides" over logs and limbs and keeps you dry. Even in high winds!
3- Extremely Low Hull Weights: Folding Porta-Bote hulls weigh in at an ultra-light 49 lbs. (21 kg), 59 lbs.(26 kg), and 69 lbs.(31 kg), respectively. Half as much as comparable aluminum boats or fiberglass hulls.
100,000+ Purchased…Why Don’t I See Porta-Bote All Over The Place? Simple…. They’re INVISIBLE! When Porta-Bote is mounted atop a car, it looks just like a surfboard. When on top of an RV (Caravan) you can’t see it at all! When Porta-Bote is out on the water, it looks just like a “non-folding” boat. The only time you can be sure you’re looking at an honest to goodness Porta-Bote is during the short time it takes to open or close one. Once you own one and know “what it’s all about”, it’s easy to identify Porta-Bote. All of a sudden, you notice them “all over the place”.
Why don’t the Porta-Bote hinges ”Break”? Excellent question. Of course there is nothing in this world that is completely indestructible (even this world) However, Miracle “Polypropylene Copolymer” is extremely tough. The entire hull is made of this stuff! Frankly, without it there could be no long lasting folding boat. The hinges are absolutely water tight and are so unique they have been granted international patents. So, what exactly is this copolymer? It’s an exotic engineered resin originally developed by the U.S. Aero-Space industry. It has incredible properties. The hinges can take incredible stresses. They have been designed so that the higher the pressure on the hinge the more it “wants” to remain sealed. The Porta-Bote hinges have been modulus tested at a rate of over 500,000 openings and closings without failure.
IN PRODUCTION OVER 40 YEARS. OVER 100,000 IN USE AROUND THE WORLD! Also, our formula utilizes an ultra-violet (UV) filter. This renders the material unaffected by exposure to saltwater. It won’t even burn! This same formula is presently being used in the manufacture of the new “lifetime” batteries, automobile bumpers, bullet proof vests, Astroturf, and even non-rusting highway road signs. How long will it last? We have inspected 40 year old Porta-Botes and many looked almost as good as new! That’s right…the hinges and hull material have now both been time-proven for 40 years by over 100,000 satisfied owners, worldwide! That’s why we can offer our famous 10 year limited prorata hull material warranty.
What Advantages Does Porta-Bote Have Over An Inflatable?
With an inflatable you have to spend almost an hour inflating and deflating. And, when you’re finally through, it really can be frustrating at the water’s edge. You’ve spent lots of time inflating only to find still another puncture that has to be repaired. (You’re lucky. You’re not out on the water, yet!) Every inflatable comes with a puncture repair kit. It’s not coincidental that almost 70% of Porta-Bote purchases are made by “former inflatable owners who have “had it”. Below is a picture of what most inflatable owners fear most!